Guidelines for Polling for Formation of PWDs Committees
These guidelines shall apply to elections of Persons With Disabilities (PWDs) Electoral Structures/Committees at:
- Parish/Ward ;(ii)
- Subcounty/Town/Municipal Division;(iii)
- Municipality/ City Division; and (iv)
Laws applicable to the Elections of PWDs Electoral Structures/Committees:
- The 1995 Constitution of the Republic of Uganda, as amended;(a)
- The Electoral Commission Act, CAP 140;(b)
- The Political Parties and Organizations Act, 2005, as amended;(c)
- The Parliamentary Elections Act, 2005, as amended;(d)
- The local Government Act, CAP 243; and(e)
- The National Council for Disability Act (NCDA), 2003, as amended and attendant regulations.(f)
Person With Disability is a person with substantial functional limitations of daily life activities caused by physical, sensory or mental impairment and environmental barriers. (Section 2 of NCDA)
The PWD Electoral Structures/Committees elections and these guidelines shall apply to every person with disabilities aged at least 18 years, resident and willing to be a member of a Village PWD Electoral Structure/Committee in the village of residence as at the cut-off (last day) of Update of the Voters’ Register/Registration.
The members of the PWD Committee shall be elected by the members of the PWD Electoral Structures/Committees from among their number.
A person shall not be a member of more than one PWD Electoral Structure/Committee.
Where a person is elected to a higher PWD Electoral Structure/Committee, his or her office in the lower PWD Electoral Structure/Committee shall fall vacant and another person shall be elected in his/her place.